I made these for one of my favorite clients yesterday and she loved them! These cookie bars were inspired by my super popular Chocolate Chip Cookie Ball recipe, I just tweaked the ingredients a little so they turn out more like brownies. They’re easier to make and more gooey than the original version! These are MUCH healthier than traditional desserts: no flour, cane sugar, eggs, or butter. As a bonus: each bar has over 6 grams of protein!
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans):
– Recent studies show a positive relationship between garbanzo beans and weight management. People report feeling less hunger and more satisfied (a higher “food satiety”) when adding chickpeas to their diet. They also eat fewer processed foods and fewer calories overall!
– Garbanzo beans have also been shown to help with blood sugar control and insulin regulation.
– 1 cup cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans (if using canned, make sure to rinse first)
– 1/2 cup organic unsweetened creamy peanut butter
– 2/3 cup light agave nectar
– 1 tsp organic vanilla extract (make sure it is gluten free)
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup dark chocolate baking chunks + extra for on top (vegan and gluten free – I used Whole Foods 365 brand 67% cacao organic dark chocolate baking chunks)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
Mix the chickpeas, peanut butter, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and baking powder in a food processor or Vitamix blender on a low setting until well combined.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in chocolate chunks. Pour the batter into the lined 8×8 square pan. Top with extra chocolate chunks (as much as you want)!
Bake approximately 55-60 minutes on the highest rack. I put a cookie sheet on the lowest rack so the bars did not burn on the bottom (but this may just be an issue with my oven). Remove when you can insert a fork or toothpick and it comes out clean. Cool in the pan at least 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 gooey cookie bars. Enjoy!